Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Time with Tigers at the Tiger Kingdom, outside Chiang Mai, Thailand.

The Tiger Kingdom Restaurant, and viewing area are one of my favorite things to see in Chiang Mai Thailand.

It is the only place that I can think of where you can have permission to be this close and personal with some of the big game cats..

I can't believe it would be possible to get the necessary permits and insurance to have a place like this in the Unites States.




That is why I prefrer living in Thailand so much more than anywhere else I have ever been.


There are a variety of Tigers available to be visited, and the prices are fair, considering all of the food and attention that is needed to take care of them properly.

There are baby tiger cubs, which are not scary at all. Look at my pictures.
They are playful and cute, but usually sleepy.

There are two sizes of medium tigers, one about the size of a black lab, and the larger medium size tigers are the size of a big St. Bernard.


The largest size you can touch and sit next to are between 250-300 pounds.

Here is Ploy at the Tiger Kingdom.




The smallest one are usually squinting, as they appear to be tired during the daytime.

They are all adorable, and you will love every minute you get to spend with them.

You can bring your own camera inside all of the enclosures and take as many pictures as you like. The trainers will help to make it possible for the best shots, given your models are not aware of the photography aspect.

Here is a baby Tiger Cubs Paw close up.





Here is a Baby Tiger Cub's paw.

I love its dark color, and beautiful pads.



     There is also a room for tiny tiny tiger cubs, but they are not old enough to visit with. I asked why, and I was told that the house cat sized tiger babies are to weak to be manhandled by so many customers.

The people running the Tiger Kingdom have created a very successful Tiger breeding facility, so if you are worried for the Tiger's safety,   I don't think they would be doing it as much (reproducing), and with as much success as this if the tigers weren't happy!











Many of the tigers are playing with each other. In a variety of different sized enclosures, there are different sized tigers running, climbing, chewing, and playing in shallow pools.
On the hot days they have turned on water sprinklers and the tigers are eager to sit beneath them and cool off.


All of the tigers here are very happy and frisky. they seem well taken care of, and are only fed cooked chicken.

I was told that cooked chicken keeps them from making live kills and eating fresh blood. That is why they are less likely to get out of hand with the customers.



Tigers are so beautiful and have the most unbelievable markings when you are up close and personal.

I love the white spots on the back of their ears. I didn't know their ears were marked like that.

These Tigers have not been de-clawed or de-fanged, or anything like that.

They are real tigers!
Here I am with a big Tiger of about 275-300 pounds!



Their paws are massive as adults, and could easily take me out with one swipe!

But I am a cat guy, and like the chance to be so close to them.

Have you ever spooned as large tiger before?       I bet not.



Their eyes are so clear and bright.
I'm sure they see everything that is is their enclosure.

You don't want one of them latching on to your arm with his teeth,  look at this bowling ball.

I didn't know it was a bowling ball, as it is so torn and disfigured.

What immense strength a full grown Tiger has!

They have more white color markings than I would have thought before being up close with them, but I am sure they can still hide very well is the tall brown South East Asian grass.

They are just like playful house cats, but larger in size.



Here is my favorite of the large tigers, look at his massive paws!



The Tigers are well taken care of, and all are freshly bathed so they don't smell I assume they must in the jungle. They also have plenty of room to play and exercise. They are all clean, and very sleepy during the daytime. I have heard of a customer being mauled on at least one occasion, but the likelihood of that happening is very small. I like the biggest Tigers myself, even though more dangerous.

If you are nervous, then just go in with the smallest cubs:)


                                   This is one stop in Chiang Mai that you don't want to miss!


Please Check out our Thai Cook Books,
so you can taste what it is like to be in Thailand,
even while you are at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment if you have appreciated our Recipes, and get a copy of our cook book to make our favorite Thai Dinners in your own home.