Thursday, February 7, 2013

The real Kho Lipe, Thailand, 2012, in the Andaman Sea.


    The arrival to Kho Lipe is somewhat difficult, I won't lie. It's a long way from Bangkok, and everywhere else.  But once you get there, you won't want to leave.

    I have heard that Lipe is the third most popular beach island destination is the world, next to the Seychelles, and the Maldives. I believe this to be true.  
   
     Lately, with the political unrest in the Maldives,  Kho Lipe must be the second best international island beach destination in the world. 


Sea Cucumber in a tidal pool.

In my opinion, Lipe is number #1, for your budget, comfort, and quality of life.


Lipe is still natural, beautiful, and still relatively unspoiled. You better get there now, while it still boasts its original charm and tranquility.
Its Tidal pools are spectacular, clean and excellent to make close up inspections of the Marine life.

0n A boat trip my second day on Lipe, with a old friend.



I arrived as you will, late in the afternoon, tired, sweaty and hungry.    

The next day,  my first day on Lipe, I took on a boat trip to see the ocean and the island from off shore.










A Chao Lay Sea Gypsy boat captain I've known for 6 years.



If you want a peaceful, quiet, relaxing beach destination, Kho Lipe is just right for you. If you are looking go go girls, all night dance parties, and fist pumping crowds, then look into going somewhere else.

However, there are plenty of small driftwood beach bars with excellent cocktails and nice places to sit, with your toes in the sand.
They are open all night, even if you are the only customer.

My two catches that day,  Both Small Tuna, delicious.



I was the former English teacher at the tiny island school about 6 years ago, so I still have some good contacts and friends, which made my return easier.

Here are the two Tuna I caught while my old friend took me on a trip around the island.
I ate one, and gave him the other one. He steamed them in tinfoil on the grill with lemon, pepper and garlic.  We had a good dinner together.

Three island Dogs!




There are many tired, skinny stray dogs on Lipe, but they don't seem to bite, and are rather distant, but friendly enough, and always hoping for a snack.

I took this on the walking street my first night on Lipe.

Here is a map of the Andaman Sea and Kho Lipe outside the school.



If you aren't too familiar with the location, here is drawn map of Lipe, Tarautao, and the Andaman Sea. It is painted on the school wall.
Take a good look, it's a long way from everywhere. I recommend going to Lipe for at least a week.

This trip, I went for 2 weeks, because I wanted to have enough time to see everything, and be able to relax, without worrying about getting to my next destination.



Fun in the sun in the water!



This is what you get on Kho Lipe! Uncrowded beaches, perfect water temperature, nice white sand, and the journey of a lifetime.
(If you only come once)



If you are interested in sunbathing,    Lipe is the spot.

This is the most crowded it will get on any beach on Lipe, and there will always be plenty of space for you find enough room four your towel, and even a friendly stranger to help you apply copious amounts of sun tan lotion.

You will BURN without it.
A great sandy shoal for sun bathing or swimming.



    It is idyllic for peace, beauty and relaxation. You will love it on Lipe. This is my favorite beach.

      There are about 50 islands in the Tarauto national park, and about 30 of them are visible from Lipe.  All of which are uninhabited,  but you can have a boat take you for day trips to be on your own island if you like.


What a spot!




This is where I chose to go swimming to cool off for a while. That is Thai long tail boat behind me.

Sun, Sand, Sea, and Seafood are the most popular things on the island.








Evening Sunsets on the Indian Ocean.

Here is what you have been waiting for. A sunset over the Ocean.
Some days it's better than others, but you will always savor it each day.
My Three best catches while I was there. King Mackerel, Jack Fish, and a barracuda!




I went fishing a few times, and here are the three best catches from my recent trip. A King Mackerel, a jack fish and a nice Barracuda.  

If you like fishing, you will save some money at dinner time.


This was the best sunset I saw during my two weeks. Grab a beer, and get to Sunset Beach!

Here is the Italian girl I was talking to.




I was talking to this Italian girl for a while.
It seems to me that most of the travellers are from Europe. She was on a two month trip with her friend through South East Asia.
She snapped this picture of me in the shallow water, although out of focus.


Fish trapping is the local way.



The local Sea Gypsies use fish traps to collect their catches.  Its illegal where I come from, but so is most everything that is fun.

This trap is big enough for ten girls to get inside.

Next, I went to Serendipity beach for my lunch, and to see the tiny cove where the rocks are so beautiful, and the water is green.  Have your lunch there too, although the service is at a snails pace!
Grab your lunch at a beautiful spot like this.


Do you like lizards? here is a nice sized monitor.



Here is a monitor strolling along the beach, looking for a snack at mid day. 

I liked him and wanted to chase him around for a while, but he hid beneath the rocks and hissed at me.
A long tail boat but no surf. Don't bring your board, you can't use it here.


Get your tan lines covered up!




You better bring plenty of sun screen to protect yourself.
Tan lines are not popular on Lipe.


You will walk, and walk, on Lipe, and burn off all that stored winter fat.

The island isn't large, and you can walk the entire thing in about two hours.

Here is the row of Bungalows I stayed in at the South Sea Resort.


Lipe is the best place for fresh seafood. Take a good look at this Black Marlin. They will be extinct within our lifetimes, so You better get you marlin steaks while you can. It doesn't get fresher!
Another nights Local catch. Black Marlin, Grouper, a giant barracuda, red stripes, and snappers galore!


Sweet and sour Grouper! for my dinner.




Here is a tasty grouper, sweet and sour style, with pineapple and vegetables. You can't go wrong with sweet and sour.
Barbecued Snapper with pepper and Garlic!





I had a white snapper barbecued up for me as well.  Squeeze that lemon all over it and grab a fork.
Most importantly, the local village, Chao lay Houses.




The local island people still live on Lipe, and have a small village, consisting of about 800.
Their homes are humble, but they are the nicest and most hospitable people you will meet.
Everywhere you go, you will be greeted by sincere smiles.
Sadly, economic development is best for tourists and not locals.



I am a bit saddened by the disparity between the locals homes compared to the quality of the guest houses.  So, please do your best to go to the businesses owned my Chao Lay people, and let them get as much of the tourism money and benefits as possible.

Look at the fabulous bungalows in the background, behind a local family home.
Here is an average Sea Gypsy Home.





However, as I said before, I taught English to the children on Kho Lipe 6 years ago, and I was glad to see that the village is as clean or cleaner than before. The people are happy and many of them are doing better than six years ago.
This is the view from in front of the school! Not bad.



In Front of the school, there is another great beach. Excellent snorkeling, and good swimming. I saw plenty of live anemones, and Nemo Fish.  The environment is still in the same condition as it was 6 years ago, which is very encouraging.

Please make your best attempt to keep Kho Lipe Clean, and minimize your impact on its shores.

Sunsets, again and again, accompanied by large spliffs.


Of course, it wouldn't be Kho Lipe without Fire dancing.



It wouldn't be Lipe if there wasn't fire dancing every night. Get a cold beer, and sit on the sand for sunsets and fire shows.

After the sunset and your second round of cocktails, it is time for dinner again.  

Whats on the menu?
Can you guess?
Seafood.

I saw this shark at a local restaurant and I had to try it.
Do you like Shark?  It's actually rather tasty. I had some grilled with butter and garlic.

              

A smug Smirk, after my last dinner before going back to Chiang Mai where I live.


Alas, It was my last night already. Two weeks went by in the blink of an eye.

Your time on Kho Lipe will never bee long enough, so plan to come for as long as possible.

Enjoy it while you are there!

Here is one last sunset picture I need to show you. Bring your camera, mask, fins, snorkel, and sunscreen. That's about all you will need while you hang out on Kho Lipe. Reserve a ticket soon, and get your vacation headed in the right direction.


Have a nice beach walk at sunset if you like.


















Don't forget to check our Cook book, so you can taste Thailand from far away.
Delicious Thai Dinners Cooked in a Western Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment if you have appreciated our Recipes, and get a copy of our cook book to make our favorite Thai Dinners in your own home.